I’m always impressed by Doubt. For me, it’s that little voice that says “you’d better check that”, “I wonder if something has changed”, “is there a new feature”, “does that feature exist”
I’ve realised that it might be a networking super power.
Doubt for Good
- Doubt makes me review.
- Doubt makes me check that my assumptions are correct.
- Doubt ensures that I am more often right.
- Doubt keeps me humble.
- Doubt keeps me reviewing technology and operational data.
Doubt of Improvement
But Doubt has some interesting side effects.
- Reviewing makes me relearn, even when I don’t want.
- Reviewing help me memorise.
- Research shows me new things.
- Checking unearths changes and new features.
Doubt as Evil
Doubt also has a negative side.
- Too much doubt causes paralysis.
- Questioning and uncertainty can lead to fear of change or fear of the unknown.
- Review and research can waste time on topics and problems where the solutions are already know.